Packaged Windows Build Creator
Packaged Windows Build Creator - 002
patrick mullen (saluk)
This is some base code I use for my projects, since I started developing it for PyWright.
It doesn't do a whole lot (it's base code, what do you expect?) but it does enough very nice things that can take a lot of time to add to a new project - or they are just forgotten and left out altogether. Or the timestep is implemented in a bad way, etc.
There are a few main benefits to using this code, at least for me - I'm not sure how useful other people will find it.
But the main benefits are:
- executable - A prebuilt windows and macintosh exe with all the dependencies I will ever need. I can update code without rebuilding it. I have used py2exe once this year, and that was to change the name from PyWright to main. Using py2exe is a pain in the butt. I want to touch it as infrequently as possible
- timestepping - the engine in PWBC has a decent timestep. It runs at a locked 60 seconds, so update functions generally only have to think in terms of frames rather than the time changed on a frame (although you have access to that if you need it). You can also alter the logic framerate so that it is different from the display framerate.
- display - the display runs by default at 320x240, and scales to 640x480. These values can be modified, and scaling of the window to change the scaled resolution is built in as well. Alt-enter toggles fullscreen.
- worlds - I also included a barebones world/sprites system. Worlds display all the sprites they contain, and you can subclass different worlds for different modes, such as one world for a menu, and another for the actual gameplay
Here's a new update of pwbc! Now with better process and more platforms.
- Mac exe - Now comes with a mac exe. Write regular python code, don't run py2exe or py2app, get a mac, windows, and source release for free!
- build.py - copies files around to quickly and easily generate a zip file sufficient to release on all 3 platforms (mac, windows, and source only)
- Came up with a new definition of the acronym: Packaged Windows Build Creator. Still don't like it. Help me think of a better name?
click to view original size
Pygame.org account Comments
If you wish to leave a comment with your pygame.org account, please sign in first.
pygame.org welcomes all python game, art, music, sound, video and multimedia projects. If they use pygame or not.
Aug 26, 2015
Aug 25, 2015
Aug 21, 2015
Aug 16, 2015
Jul 30, 2015
Jun 24, 2015
Jun 17, 2015
Jun 14, 2015
Jun 8, 2015